Saturday, November 29, 2014

Almost There!

One more test to go! I can't believe we are almost done this first semester. It has been challenging at times, but I've pushed through it. This month was crazy! From weddings, to surgeries, to buying a house; let's just say you only live once.

My sister got married in October and my best friend got married in November just two more weddings left (out of 8 I might add), but they aren't until January so I get a little break. Weddings are great, especially in New Orleans, and I am so happy for those people's weddings who I have had the pleasure of being a part of. 

Weddings are just one part of this crazy month. In the beginning of this program, around August, I sprained my ankle while "studying." Well, it was after I was finished studying and my foot was still asleep. Silly me tried to walk and well its hard to walk when you can't feel your feet. If you know me at all, this is typical of my everyday life; I am pretty clumsy. However, this turned sour really quick when I realized I couldn't move my ankle. To the emergency room I go, to find out its "just a sprain," thank God. But three months later we found out it was a little more than "just a sprain" and required a minor, non-invasive surgery to get me back on my feet. Today I am in recovery, and hoping to be back on my feet soon.


Cait and I after Autism Speaks Walk. It was a little chilly

Just before my surgery, the good news landed; we finally found the house. After 2 years of looking, the perfect little 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house popped up and we snagged it. It needs a little TLC but with my creativity and, of course, Pinterest DIY projects I think this house is going to be perfect. 

With all of this going on, its crazy that I have found some time to volunteer but I have. I volunteered at the Autism Speaks walk and also participated in the walk itself. I have also helped at a local clinic and will continue to help there as the year comes to an end. The Women Under Study Clinic is devoted to improving the study of women's health and disease. At the clinic, I contact patients to discuss their ability to participate in certain trials, I help organize patient files and other office administrative duties, and I also act as a liaison between our office and the doctors around the city who participate in these trials.

It has been a great month in all aspects of life!

Volunteering
Autism Speaks Walk - 2 hours
Women Under Study - 6 hours


No comments:

Post a Comment